Kureto Hīragi 「柊 暮人, Hīragi Kureto」 is an antagonist of the Seraph of the End: Vampire Reign manga series. He is the Lieutenant General of the Japanese Imperial Demon Army and is expected to become the next leader of the Hīragi Family as well as the Japanese Imperial Demon Army. His goal is to exterminate all the vampires in Japan, and have the world under the control of the Japanese Imperial Demon Army.
He also appears in the Seraph of the End: Guren Ichinose: Catastrophe at Sixteen light novel series as a supporting character.
Kureto is a tall, young man with short black hair and red eyes. He has thick eyebrows that zigzag up at the ends.
He wears the standard JIDA uniform which consists of a black tailcoat with red details including the shoulder epaulettes with gold trim, an aiguillette worn on the right shoulder with a crescent moon decoration, and two rows of gold buttons on the front. Along with that, he wears a pair of white gloves, an armband on his left arm, and a white web belt with a gold waist-plate. He also wears the uniform trousers with black shoes.
Arrogant and powerful, Kureto doesn't tolerate any disrespect from lower-rank families. He is manipulative, ruthless, and treacherous (Shinoa describes him as a "monster"), and will not hesitate to abandon his comrades if he no longer finds them useful. In fact, he finds that being able to abandon one's own friends as a strength. He expects everyone to submit to him with absolute loyalty, and as such, is very confident with himself, his plans and his actions.
Kureto has an ambition of wiping out every vampire on the planet and intends to rule the world, stating that he will turn it into a "vampire-free paradise." He plans to gather every surviving country and unite them as one, making Japan the center of all nations (i.e. world domination). Guren comments this as "something a kid would make up."
Despite his harsh personality, he possesses a sense of self-righteousness and sees anyone who is willing to sacrifice others for pure greed and with no goal as evil. Kureto's utilitarianism convinces him that if sacrificing the minority will be able to save a larger amount of people, then he'll gladly dirty his hands with the blood of innocent people. This was shown when he sacrificed the soldiers of the Imperial Demon army, stating that their deaths were not in vain as he revived the Seraph.
Despite his unsympathetic and serious nature, there are a few instances in the Catastrophe light novels where he attempts to show kindness to Guren Ichinose, which typically bewilders Guren. Before Guren's father's execution, Kureto allows Sakae to call Guren and chat for one last time. He then gives Guren the opportunity to chase after Mahiru by turning himself into a victim and letting Guren steal his helicopter. When the clan heads vote to execute Sakae Ichinose, he is the only one who is against it, even though Guren did not fulfill his goal of killing Mahiru by the deadline. After Guren gets beaten by Tenri Hīragi, Kureto offers to drive him home, but Guren calls him weak.
Kureto is also shown to treat his subordinate well. Despite his general distrust of Guren, he still sees the latter as one of his subordinates, and keeps an (albeit wary) eye on him in the light novels. He gifts Guren an extremely powerful new sword (prior Guren receiving Nōya from Mahiru), and the sword is supposedly a Hīragi family heirloom that was strengthened through the hatred and fear of the people it had slew before. The random acts of kindness he sometimes exhibits to his subordinates includes giving Aoi a gentle and encouraging smile when her leg was sniped off by an assassin sent by Tenrī, and helping Aoī reattach her leg, going as far as bloodying his hands in the process.
He and Mahiru were in competition to be the next head of the Hīragi family. He was the student council president of First Shibuya High. He maintained his position as top of his class since first entering the school. He mentions to Guren that his decisions hold more weight at the school than the principal's.
Kureto Hiragi watches Shinya and Guren when Shinya reveals what the Hiragi Clan knows about the attack on First Shibuya High. Shinya punches Guren so as to avoid Kureto getting suspicious about them working together. He kicks him instead.
Three days later, Shinya, Mito, Norito, and Guren leave their class to continue their examinations in the gym. When Guren arrives for his fight, Kureto asks if he sold any information to the Thousand Nights. Guren manages to convince him otherwise but then Kureto wonders if Guren was working for them. When Guren denies this, Kureto does not believe him as Guren has enough motive to. Guren tells him that he thinks that Kureto is overestimating him but Kureto says that if Guren is as weak as he appears, he could have never survived the attack and that he was obviously hiding his true strength. Kureto then wonders of that strength poses a threat to the Hiragi's which was the reason they are here.
He orders Shinya to kill Guren but Shinya questions why he has to do it, and Kureto tells him that if he doesn't want to draw suspicion to himself then he'll do it. Shinya reluctantly agrees. He hits Guren hard but the strike does not kill him. Kureto asks why he held back before he backhands him. He tells Shinya that he's lost his trust and now he will be investigated as well to determine whether he's been working with the Thousand Nights.
Kureto turns to face Guren next and warns him if that if he was lying and is stronger that he says then he will be injected with truth serum and tortured until they find out how he's connected to the Thousand Nights.
He attacks Guren with the intent to kill, forcing Guren to fight seriously. Guren loses and is knocked unconscious.
Kureto arrives after Guren's interrogation. He tells him that his father came to the compound to ask that Guren be let go. They took his father into custody and questioned him and he told them everything that Guren did such as receiving an invitation from the Thousand Nights but not coming to an decision and that this war started while he was considering his answer. He also tells Guren that his father is very weak as he broke down and talked five hours before he did but then his heart gave out in the end. He assures Guren that his father isn't dead as they revived him and sent him home.
He calls Guren strong but like he said he's just one person and strength doesn't change anything as the Ichinose's are nothing but crawling ants when compared to the Hīragi's, meaning that he is not a threat to them.
Kureto asks him to become his right-hand man as it will be a chance to improve the Ichinose family's status. Guren asks what will happen if he refuses, and Kureto threatens to have having the entire Ichinose Clan destroyed. Guren agrees to become hisb underling. He promises Guren a stronger weapon more suited to his abilities.
Guren skips school, but Kureto calls him to tell him to come back as he has something that he wants to do for him and to be there by nine o'clock.
When he arrives at school, Shinya, Mito, and Goshi are there as well. Aoi Sangū inivites them inside the student council president's room. He hands them documents which include photos showing Ueno park which had mentioned on the news as someone sprayed poison which killed the animals. Kureto tells the group that what was said on the new was a lie. The Imperial Demons' intelligence bureau determined that the entire Ueno district was being used as the site of an experiment by the Thousand Nights and apparently there was an accident. The Thousand Nights now appear to be using all their resources to try and cover up whatever happened.
He then tells them that the Imperial Demons' have been aware that Ueno was being used this way but since they didn't expect a war with the Thousand Nights, they never investigated further. However things have changed as the Thousand Nights broke their non -aggression pacts and they are now at war. He reveals that that the Imperial Demons' sent seventeen squad units since last night and every single one of them was destroyed and that is why the group is here. He decided to put together a special team together as the mission is too difficult for any regular troops.
He tells them that in two hours, the Imperial Demons' will send four squads into Ueno zoo from the northeast section as a diversion while the group slips in. He leaves it up to them to decide on who the leader of the squad and that as long as they produce results, he doesn't care how things are done. The group picks Guren as that team leader.
Before Guren leaves, as agreed, Kureto hands him a new weapon called Hoarfrost, which is a enchanted sword.
Kureto calls Guren at the end of class and orders him to go to the student council room during lunch the next day.
During lunch the next day, Kureto calls Guren and orders him to meet with him. Aoi delivers Guren to the gymnasium basement where Kureto has Shinoa Hīragi who appears to have been beaten and tortured. Guren's face contorts into an expression of disgust. Kureto comments about it, and Guren says he hates torturing kids. Kureto agrees but says such things do not matter for a Hīragi. He points out that Shinoa is smiling and says she has been trained to never let loose a single word during torture.
Kureto asks Guren about the Thousand Nights meeting and asks if Mahiru is the traitor. Guren remains silent before eventually saying he does not know. After a few more questions, Guren says he does not know if Mahiru is the traitor. Kureto continues asking him questions, and Guren keeps denying his accusations.
Kureto says that the messenger sent by the Thousand Nights did not survive. He glances at the neighboring room, which has blood seeping through the walls. Guren comments about letting a child see that. Kureto comments that the Ichinose are gentle and appreciates how Guren knows he cannot win against Kureto.
Guren walks over to Shinoa, pats her head, and releases her restraints. She asks permission to stand up, but Kureto orders her to remain seated.
Kureto reveals that this is actually all makeup and Shinoa was not actually tortured. He says she would not reveal anything anyway. Shinoa stands up, saying she is bored. He commands her to stay and leave the makeup on for when he questions Shinya later.
Kureto says this was all to gather information and says he will trust Guren. Kureto says he already knows Guren met Shinoa, so he will kill Shinoa first. Kureto grabs Shinoa by the neck, and Guren charges him. Kureto blocks his attack and threatens to break Shinoa's neck.
Kureto receives a text from Mahiru telling him to do as he pleases. Kureto shows the message to Guren and Shinoa. Shinoa begins tearing up. She quickly regains her composure, but it was too late.
Mahiru sends Kureto a message telling him to do as he pleases, and tears briefly form in Shinoa’s eyes.
Kureto talks about Mahiru and says Guren is the opposite of her. He says Guren is idiotic trash being used by that woman. He calls Mahiru a beautiful monster. However, he says that Mahiru might listen to Guren. Kureto wants Guren to give Mahiru a message if he encounters her. He says he wants Mahiru to return to the Hīragi and says he will permit Mahiru to marry Guren because he wants to keep her in the family. He advises Guren to hold her and never let her go or else kill her before she destroys everyone around her.
Kureto sends Mahiru's IP address to Guren. He orders Guren to meet and persuade Mahiru. Guren asks whether Kureto or Mahiru is stronger, and Kureto tells him Mahiru is stronger. Guren immediately sends a message to Mahiru.
After a moment, Guren's phone rings. He answers it, and Mahiru is on the other end. She asks to speak with Shinoa. Under Kureto's orders, Guren puts the phone on loud speaker. Shinoa reports that everything went as expected. She reports that Guren, Kureto, and Aoi are listening to their conversation. When she asks about their father, Kureto reports that he does not know she is missing. She calls him a liar and accuses Kureto of her crimes, saying he actually did everything instead of her out of jealousy. He says no one will believe her. After they talk for a bit, she mocks Kureto for prolonging their phone call to track her instead of hanging up immediately.
He says he found her, but she informs him that his special ops are already dead.
A student suddenly enters the room and reports that Kureto's conversation is being broadcasted across the entire school. Guren notices a sound-muffling talisman at the edge of the door.
Kureto orders Guren to end the call, but Mahiru says many students will die again. Kureto takes the phone and turns off the speaker. He says she is going to cause innocent deaths. She continues to place blame on him. Kureto orders a meeting to sentence the traitor, Mahiru, before hanging up.
Kureto asks Guren if he knew about any of this, but Guren deflects the question. Kureto decides that Mahiru single-handedly pitted the Imperial Demons against the Thousand Nights.
Kureto thinks and talks some more. He says that Guren is a human, not a monster like Mahiru, and tells him to become his comrade. He wants to solve this situation with as few casualties as possible. Guren states he does not have a choice.
It is currently August 21st.
Kureto releases Shinoa and Guren.
That night, the Brotherhood of a Thousand Nights attacks the school. During the chaos, Guren calls Kureto and reports on Mahiru. He asks Kureto to kill him if he loses control during this experiment and says he is going to the school.
Kureto orders Shinya to go to the school after the Brotherhood of a Thousand Nights attacks.
With the help of Shinya and Sakae Ichinose’s cooperation, Kureto helps arrange saving Guren, who has been possessed by Noya.
Kureto calls Mahiru and explicitly describes how he will torture Guren, but she only laughs and tells him she is going to Kyoto.
Kureto visits Guren and orders him to kill Mahiru within forty-eight hours or else he will kill Guren’s father and the rest of the Order of the Imperial Moon. He calls Aoi, stating that Guren betrayed them and cut him down. He orders Sakae’s death, but this is all a ruse in order to trick Mahiru. Aoi is aware that this is all a lie.
Guren and his group escape to the roof and steal Kureto’s helicopter before heading to Kyoto.
Despite Kureto’s objection, the council heads overrule him and decide to execute Sakae for his arrogance.
Guren calls Kureto, who sends in a helicopter after Guren cuts of Shigure’s arm when Saito attacks. Shinya calls Guren, stating he bugged Guren’s room, and Guren says he accidentally chopped off Shigure’s arm while trying to cut a radish. They meet at Guren’s apartment that night, and Guren informs Kureto about Saito. Shigure’s arm is successfully reattached.
On December 10th, Kureto sends in Guren and his gang to take care of students that have become possessed by demons at the school. Mahiru appears as a vampire, but she escapes.
On December 20th, Kureto leads 200 soldiers to destroy one of the Thousand Nights’s research facilities, but Lucal Wesker intercepts them with a group of vampires. He lets them go because he only drinks the blood of children.
On December 23rd, Guren investigates the abandoned Hyakuya Orphanage in Shibuya. Although reports from the Nii and Kuki families say the children have been killed, it appears they were alive recently. Mika’s diary is dated for December 18th. Guren informs Kureto, who realizes the Nii and Kuki families are traitors. Mahiru then arrives in front of them with the Nii family army.
Story: Vampire Reign
Second Shibuya High Arc
Lieutenant General Kureto Hīragi first appears in chapter 5 of the manga. Although he does not say anything, he is at a big meeting with the higher-ups including Lieutenant Colonel Guren Ichinose, who is snoring during it.
He reappears with Major General Shinya Hīragi with the Shibuya Main Army in chapter 14 at Shinjuku, effectively saving Guren and Moon Demon Company from Seventh Progenitor Ferid Bathory. He arrives too late to witness Special Private Yūichirō Hyakuya's transformation and gives no sign later on of knowing that it even occurred.
He orders his troops to capture the vampire nobles alive. Although they successfully capture or kill many non-noble vampires, the nobles escape without any loss.
In chapter 16, Kureto summons Special Private Yoichi Saotome, Special Private Shihō Kimizuki, Special Private Yūichirō Hyakuya, and Mitsuba Sangū to the Shinjuku Central Army Headquarters First Office. Yoichi and Kimizuki are taken first, and they are bound and interrogated. Mitsuba receives a promotion to Second Lieutenant because she is a member of the prestigious Sangū family, even though she was useless during the battle.
When Yu arrives, a starving imprisoned vampire with broken chains jumps at Yu,and Yu kills him without hesitation. Kureto says it was a test to weed out traitors. He claims this makes at least one verifiable occasion with reliable witnesses where Yu killed an unarmed vampire without hesitation, but he says it is only one occasion.
In the First Office, Kureto orders Yu to show him his swordsmanship without activating his demon curse. Shinya warns Yu against trusting Kureto. Kureto orders his demon, Raimeiki, to possess him, effectively activating his gear at an advanced level. Yu calls him out on cheating, but he has a sword at his neck before he gets far. Yu complains that was not fair, but Kureto says the battlefield is not fair. He says he approves of Yu obeying his superior's orders without question and states that it is hard to believe Yu is a subordinate of Guren--until Yu attacks Kureto from behind while he is talking, and Aoi Sangū, his aide, blocks the attack, saving Kureto. He takes back his words and states that Yu is definitely Guren's subordinate.
Kureto orders Shinya to attack Yu next and since Yu knows nothing of manifestation-type demons, the fight ends quickly. Although Shinya declines to give his name, Kureto provides it, saying that Shinya was originally from a junior branch family and was despised for it. He said that if Yu wanted to kill Shinya, no one would care.
It turns out that this interview was largely to fish out a vampire spy hiding in their ranks, and Kureto was testing both Shinya and Yu. Kureto snaps his fingers, and a pair of soldiers drag Yoichi and Kimizuki into the room. Both boys have been disarmed, bound, and gagged. Kureto says he will kill them if Yu resists. He says Yu was a rare talent, who qualified for a Black Demon series weapon in a short time. Although this is also true for Yoichi and Kimizuki, Yu is the only one who did not have a thorough background check done first. He asks Yu about his origin and mission. When Yu is confused and denies knowing what he was talking about, a soldier stabs Kimizuki through the left shoulder. Kureto orders Yu to tell him the truth and then orders Yoichi to be stabbed as well. Yu says he will tell them everything he knows, and Kureto simply says that no one goes against the wishes of the Hīragi family.
Kureto asks Yu if he is a survivor of the Hyakuya Sect, which was once the most powerful organizations in Japan. Confused, Yu answers that it was the just the name of the orphanage he grew up in. Kureto explains that the Hyakuya sect was an organization that used orphanages to collected orphaned children for numerous insane human experiments. He states that Yu and his family were probably just a batch of Hyakuya guinea pigs. He says Guren is trying to manipulate whatever experimentation the Hyakuya did to Yu for his own purposes.
Kureto asks Yu to become his subordinate, but Yu says he does not care and asks for Yoichi and Kimizuki to be released. Yu says that Guren would never stoop this low, and Kureto states that is why Guren will never catch up to him. Kureto says that if Yu stepped forward to become his subordinate, Kureto would have killed him. Kureto releases the three soldiers.
In chapter 23, Kureto has a group of five vampires outside in the sunlight, starving and bound by chains. He wants to see if he can force them into becoming demons, but the ones who do become demons are much weaker than the replicas of the stronger weapons. Guren says Kureto will not have him killed because he is useful. Kureto asks Guren about how he created so many successful candidates of the Black Demon Series, which Guren answers with luck. Kureto reveals that any person who bears a Black Demon was a human experiment at some point, but mastery is rare even with that. He requests that Guren share the fruits of his experiments with the Hīragi. He asks if Guren is planning a coup, which Guren denies.
Guren asks him what hostage Kureto has for him today, but Kureto says he has been too busy since the attack to kidnap any of Guren's aides.
Kureto reveals his dream to Guren. First, he wants to eradicate all the vampires in Japan. Then, he will crush any surviving human organizations and unite the world under the JIDA. Kureto asks about Guren's ambition and asks him to join Kureto if its smaller than that. Guren says he is already following Kureto.
Kureto reveals that the vampires use weak and simple strategies because they underestimate humanity. Vampire enclaves do not get along or share information, and the nobility is responsible for keeping the society under control. By eliminating them, the remaining vampires will fall apart. He says there are 25 vampire nobles in Japan, and claims to know where ever single one of them is. His information is gathered from child spies he sends into vampire cities, which Ferid seems a little too happy about.
Kureto explains that vampires do not bother to remember the faces of humans because they are too cocky and only see humans as brainless livestock.
Kureto assigns Guren a suicide mission. Before the vampires bring down their army on Tokyo one month from now, Guren must launch a pre-emptive strike with a force of 100 soldiers and his three black demon wielders. He will attack Nagoya, wipe out the vampire nobles, and conquer their base. In the meantime, Kureto will lead the rest of the army elsewhere. He is using Guren as a distraction, although killing off nobles will help their cause as well. Kureto declares he will show Guren a world where the humans make the vampires into cattle.
Kureto reappears in chapter 32. He has has Angels prepared for transport in large crates. Angels 6 and 7 are mentioned specifically. On their father's orders, Seishirō arrives with some soldiers in order to assist Kureto. He informs Kureto that their father will not tolerate failure, but Kureto laughs and tells him their father can be angry in Hell. The two argue, and Kureto's aide and another soldiers wipe out the unit Seishirō brought with him before he notices. Aoi informs him that preparations are complete.
When Seishirō hears that Kureto is getting on a helicopter, he asks where Kureto is going and says the vampires are headed to Shinjuku to attack them. Kureto states he will imprison the vampires in Nagoya. Seishirō says he will report Kureto for defying their father, so Kureto draws his sword. Seishirō panics and begs for his life. Kureto says that Seishirō's obedience to those in power makes him useful, so he tells Seishirō to wait in the brig until he returns with "supreme power." Kureto does not explain his plans to Seishirō.
Aoi informs him that the subject is in unstable condition with severe pain. He orders the drug dosage to be increased to force it back into submission. When she informs him that action may kill the subject, Kureto simply says humanity will die if it does not hold out anyway.
The only status report he has from Guren is, "Everything's fine." He laughs and orders his soldiers to hurry.
He reappears in chapter 39 with Aoi. He identifies himself and congratulates them on their successful mission. He says that, thanks to their glorious sacrifices, humanity will now achieve complete victory over vampire-kind. He says he will take over now and orders them to put down their weapons and be at ease.
Shinya asks what exactly is going on.
Kureto ignores his question and asks where Guren is. When Shinya states Guren has been captured by the vampires, Kureto asks which personality let that happen. He asks if Guren really intends to fool him, which puzzles Shinya. Kureto mocks Shinya and asks if he has not figured it out yet. Kureto states that Guren's original and weaker personality is desperate to save everyone and liked them enough that he probably tried to put on a brave face. When Shinya asks for more information, Kureto orders him to be silent.
Kureto orders Aoi to kill the "sacrifices," and he disarms Shinya when Shinya demands that Kureto wait.
Narumi approaches Kureto and asks what he is talking about. Kureto asks who he is and restates his order for the soldiers to drop their weapons. Narumi points out how many of them have died already and says it is his responsibility to keep his subordinates safe.
Kureto remarks on Narumi's passion and asks for his name. Shinya quickly shouts at Narumi to not tell him, but Kureto says Shinya cannot do anything to protect him anyway. Shinya pleads with Kureto to just let them leave.
Kureto says that he is in a particularly good mood today, which makes Rika relieved.
Immediately afterward, he says that everyone is going to die anyway and orders the experiment to begin. Aoi launches chains from the ground at the surviving members of the Moon Demon Company. The chains stab at the survivors and hang their corpses in the air.
Narumi falls to his knees, asking what just happened. Shusaku screams at Narumi to run until a second chain pierces through his chest. Enraged, Narumi charges at Kureto. Kureto smiles and says they had a glorious death for the sake of humanity's future. He says his actions are just and right.
Kureto tells Shinoa that he will let her live so long as she obeys him, but she orders everyone to flee. Kureto orders her death, and three chains launch at her. Yu suddenly appears and deflects the attack, surprising Shinoa.
Continuing in chapter 40, Kureto notes that three of the surviving soldiers are Guren's soldiers with the black demons. Chains erupt out of one of the trucks. Mika, Yu, and Kimizuki block them. Kureto says the black demon wielders have matured and muses having them for himself but says that their owner will dispose of them.
An army of vampires arrive, cursing the insolent humans for their recent attack. Kureto summons his own army and orders them into battle to buy time for the experiment to be completed. The vampires and humans wage war. Guren walks onto the battlefield, sword in his hand. Kureto announces to Guren that it is time to begin. He warns Aoi that Heaven will smite them, but they will take that power and control it. He orders his soldiers to bind the seraph completely.
Mirai Kimizuki erupts from the van and floats in the sky. She has four large, feathered wings and a single long trumpet before her. Her eyes are dark with peculiar markings on her irises. She curses the sinners and says ruin will fall down upon them. Kimizuki recognizes her, shocked and horrified.
Chains erupt from the remaining van and pierce through Mirai, making her scream in pain as a magical circle appears behind her. A black aura appears from Mirai's back. The soldiers announce that the fifth trumpet is transforming into an angel of destruction to smite mankind. Although they have not offered enough sacrifices yet, they have achieved the proper state, and Kureto's subordinates claim they are successfully controlling a Seraph of the End. He orders Aoi to feed the rest of the sacrifices to the demon Abaddon to stabilize it. The demon's power rushes out and consumes nearby vampire and human soldiers while they look up in horror.
Yu then awakens in his seraph mode. Kureto asks about him, and a soldier reports that he is an unknown Seraph of the End currently activating within that pillar of fire. When he asks how that is possible, the soldier states it may have been created from a different organization or else this might be a spontaneous occurrence.
If the seraph is left alone, Kureto says a catastrophe will once again end the world. He orders Aoi to crush the second seraph. She commands all units to concentrate on the pillar surrounding Yu. She tells them to aim Abaddon at it.
Mirai twitches and then flies toward Yu. Abaddon fires a blast at Yu, which he flies out of the way. Kureto orders a second attack from Abaddon but Yu raises a barricade of earth before him which successfully blocks the attack. A soldier reveals that Yu has the second trumpet and is the King of Salt. Aoi worries that Yu could kill Mirai, but Kureto says they do not have a choice. He orders them to kill the trumpet.
Yu manifests a sword in his right hand and slices the manifestation of Abaddon in half.
Three months later, outside at the entrance to Sanguinem, vampires quickly retreat, calling for their kind and the progenitors to escape. This was right before they are cut off-screen by the appearance of Kureto and Guren emerging out onto the battlefield in thin smoke.
Cooperatively, Guren and Kureto can be seen walking and fighting together side by side against the vampires with their demon weapons. While so, both men commanded their respective demons to attack the enemies before them. On the other hand, Mirai once more appears in her Seraph form as she is being accompanied by other JIDA soldiers throughout the war.
When Kureto returns to Shinjuku, he tells Guren of his plans to kill his father, Tenri Hīragi, because Tenri no longer has the right to lead. He orders Guren to help him and demands he convinces Shinya to join them.
Kureto is later seen in a car outside Shibuya. After talking to his demon, he orders Aoi to activate the Seraph of the End in order to take over Shibuya.
Kureto attacks Shibuya orders that those who oppose be killed. He tells Aoi that Tenri is strong and may no longer be human and that the Hiragis have been controlled by someone. He asks her if he can win and she replies that if he doesn't then there is no future for mankind so he will win. She says that if he dies the rest of the soldiers and Aoi will fight until the death for him.
He slices through the audience chamber and his father greets him. Chains similar to Saito's erupt from his body with some turning into snakes at the end, and Kureto is unfazed that his father is no longer human. He orders Raimeiki to spread out shouting that he will kill his father.
Powers and Abilities
Kureto is a very charismatic and rational in making decisions. This is seen in the light novel where he figures out a way to get out of Mahiru's plan and tries to defeat her every possible ways he can, especially making sacrifices to achieve his objective.
He also appears to be a capable swordsman, but knows his power alone isn't enough and needs subordinates, such as Guren, to help him along the way. Kureto is the type of person who wants his subordinates to be submissive to him and obey his every order, and would even go so far as to threaten them to do his work. He fights dirty, shown in his brief spar with Yū.
His sword fighting ability is demonstrated in both the light novels and the manga, where he easily defeated Yū in a matter of seconds, even when Yū is a renowned fighter for his age, and that even Aoī acknowledges his strength.
Since his late teens, Kureto was able to square off with Guren in a one-on-one sword fight evenly. At that time, Kureto could completely control the power of his cursed gear which was something Guren couldn't do. Kureto quickly overwhelms Guren's physical strength and speed while going all out with his newly-formed power, cornering him by the wall one-sidedly, effectively winning the fight. He lectures Guren's desires as something that needs to be self-controlled as his demon weapon is being suppressed with a seal, unlike himself, who perfectly tamed its power.
Even now, Kureto is perceptive about Guren's agenda, thinking he was planning a coup and doing things his own way behind the shadows. He also holds some knowledge about Guren having a second personality before Shinya learns of this news.
- Raimeiki 「雷鳴鬼 lit. Thunder Demon」: A possession-type demon weapon of the Black Demon Series. It takes on the form of a black katana with a glowing green streak down the middle. Kureto can actually call on Raimeiki, to possess him. While doing so, it's ability appears to envelope its host with streaks of bright energy, gathering all around his arm and hand that's holding the weapon. This enhancement allows Kureto to move at a lightning speed instantly, which even caught his opponent in surprise before they can react to it. The demon weapon serves to be both a defensive and offensive mechanism.
- In contrast to the manga, when using Raimeiki to possess him, Kureto is able to instead shoot electricity out from his blade to strike at his intended target upon range, throwing them off-course on air quickly at high speed rather than enhancing his speed.
- Kureto can summon a bolt of lightning within the air to strike Yu, causing him to fall down on the ground though the latter remains standing and unfazed by his surprised attack. More so, he was able to temporarily keep Yu at bay for at least a few seconds with its lightning strike before being blow away by the clash's recoil while Yu was in Seraph Mode.
- When he clashes with Yu while Yu was in Seraph Mode, Kureto can drastically enhance his physical strength with electricity to temporarily keep Yu at bay for at least a few seconds.
- Kureto 「暮人」 means "dusk person."
- Hīragi 「柊」 means "holly."
- Kureto likes fishing.
- In chapter 14, Kureto promises to give Guren a reward for his efforts in Shinjuku. It turned out to be chocolate ice cream.
- According to the official fanbook:
- Interest/Likes: [Interests] A bright future for mankind/An environment where his subordinates can work easily [Likes] A good pillow for sleeping
- Favorite food: Black tea/Carbonated drinks
- What he looks for in the opposite sex: Females who can give birth to superior children/Females who aren’t obedient to him
- "You’re late, Guren Ichinose."—Chapter 3, Page 224
- "I don’t believe you. You have motive. You bear a grudge against the Hīragi Clan, and would have seen the merit in joining with the Thousand Nights. You’ve been lying, pretending to be weaker than you are. That’s proof enough."—To Guren, Chapter 3, Page 226
- "I told you to hit him. Why are you holding back?”—To Shinya, who he ordered to hit Guren, Chapter 3, Page 228
- "You can drop the act, already. If you’re as powerless as you say, then you’re going to die in this gymnasium, right here and now. If you’ve been lying and are stronger than you say, then we’re going to inject you with a truth serum and torture you until we find out how you are connected to the Thousand Nights."—Chapter 3, Page 228-229
- "It seems there may be a traitor in the Jūjō Clan as well…"—Chapter 3, Page 229
- "…Hmph. It seems the next leader of the Ichinose Clan has finally shown his true colors."—Chapter 3, Page 233
- "Ahaha! So that’s the real Guren. Do you kiss your mother with that mouth? Still, it isn’t often I get the chance to test my strength against a real opponent. Who’d have thought that such talent could be hiding in a lowly branch family? I’m going to enjoy this."—Chapter 3, Page 233
- "Are you serious? Only a fool would care about something as childish as that. You’re no fool either, are you, Guren? You were planning to lose to me. I’ve already gotten a good idea of how strong you are. You’re clearly very capable. We’re going to investigate you now to determine whether you’ve been working with the Thousand Nights. Should our suspicions be cleared, we’ll put you to use as a valuable new soldier for the Hiragi Clan. Truth serum and torture will be waiting for you when you wake. Until then, sleep well, Guren Ichinose."—To Guren, Chapter 3, Page 234
- "By the way, your father came to the compound to make a complaint. He insisted that we let his son go. We took him into custody for questioning. He told us exactly what you did. That the Ichinose Clan had received an invitation from the Brotherhood of a Thousand Nights, but you couldn’t come to an agreement. And then this war started while you were still considering your answer. Your father is very weak. He broke down and talked for five hours before you did. His heart even gave out, in the end."—To Guren, Chapter 4, Page 240
- "That’s the first real emotion you’ve shown, isn’t it? That expression of anger? Everything up until now has just been an act, hasn’t it? Even under torture, you only shared information you deemed to be safe, didn’t you? Incredible. I should commend you. It’s not often that someone of such talent is born into such a lowly, minor clan. Don’t worry. Your father isn’t dead. We revived him and sent him home. You’re very strong, Guren. But it’s like you said. You’re just one person. Being strong doesn’t change anything. The Ichinose Clan are nothing but crawling ants in comparison to the Hiragi Clan. You could never be a threat to us. We see that now."—Chapter 4, Page 240
- "You’ve piqued my interest, Guren Ichinose. I’m making you my right-hand man. It will be a chance for you to improve the standing of your lowly clan. Do you understand?"—Chapter 4, Page 240
- "…I will destroy the entire Ichinose Clan. If my calculations are correct, it would take us a mere five days to massacre every single person in your little Order of the Imperial Moon."—Chapter 4, Pages 240-241
- "It’s settled, then. We are now on the same side. Rest easy. I always treat my underlings fairly."—To Guren, Chapter 4, Page 241
- "You still don’t get it? I’ve always been your master. Every day up until now and every day hence. Your children, and your children’s children, and so on and so on, will be servants to the Hīragis. Always and forever. That reminds me, I sent your weapon back to the Ichinose compound, along with your father. I’ll have a stronger weapon for you tomorrow, something more suited to your abilities."—Chapter 4, Page 242
- "You asked if I was playing principal. You should understand that my decisions hold more weight at this school than the principal’s. The principal of this school would march to his own death, if I so ordered it. The same applies to you, Guren Ichinose. You and the principal are in the same position at this school. I am the master, and you are my followers. Understood?"—Chapter 6, Page 274
- "Capable people always get straight to the point. That’s what I like about them. Sit. Aoi, bring tea for everyone."—Chapter 6, Pages 274-275
- "The Thousand Nights has already broken our non-aggression pact. We are at war."—Chapter 6, Page 277
- "As long as you produce results, I don’t care how you get things done."—Chapter 6, Page 279
- "Besides, Guren is no longer a threat. He swore total allegiance. Didn’t you, Guren? Your sword is already drawn, while I am completely unarmed. If you wanted to kill me, now would be your chance. And yet you don’t. Why is that? It’s because you know your place in the order of things. Deep down you think you harbor ambition. But that ambition is just a façade. You need it to sustain yourself. In reality, however, you know, more than anyone else, that those ambitions will never come to be realized. The difference in power between the Ichinose Clan and the Hīragi Clan is just too great. That’s the truth, isn’t it, Guren?"—Chapter 6, Page 280
- "Hmph… I have to admit, I do like that attitude of yours."—To Guren, Chapter 2
- "This level of torture is nothing to a Hiragi. Just look at her. She’s smiling."—To Guren about Shinoa, Chapter 4
- "Even if she doesn’t talk, though," he said, "there is something precious that we can take from her. Something that can never be recovered once it’s lost. Isn’t that right, Guren? …Shinoa is only eight years old. She’s never even been in love. Maybe she should lose that precious ‘something’ right now… What do you think? …If you don’t like seeing children tortured, I imagine you must want to protect her."—To Guren about Shinoa, Chapter 4
- Kureto only smiled. "Your opinion of me doesn’t matter. You don’t plan on lecturing me now about what an ugly, dirty world we live in, do you?"—To Guren, Chapter 4
- "Mahiru was in love with you. She told you everything, didn’t she?"—To Guren, Chapter 4
- "No," assured Kureto, "I only believe what I see with my own two eyes. That’s why I haven’t killed you. Or Shinoa. We need to figure out what the Thousand Nights’ motive is for sharing this information, instead of letting their propaganda turn our heads. We tried to get answers out of the messenger from the Thousand Nights, but unfortunately our interrogator got carried away with the questioning. The messenger died prematurely."—To Guren, Chapter 4
- "Her injuries are all makeup," divulged Kureto. "Shinoa hasn’t been tortured. I would never subject my adorable little sister to something so pointless, Guren. After all, it’s not as if she would talk."—To Guren, Chapter 4
- "I’ve decided to trust you," he said. "You are one of my most valued retainers, after all."—To Guren, Chapter 4
- "We already know that you and Shinoa have been in contact," he said. "But we’re going to kill Shinoa first."—To Guren, Chapter 4
- "Don’t make another move, Guren, or I’ll break Shinoa’s neck…"—To Guren, Chapter 4
- "Haha. You should see your face. This is why I trust you, Guren. Because of your humanity. Because you couldn’t abandon Shinoa just now. By the way, I actually announced Shinoa’s death sentence last night. I did it through channels that I knew the Thousand Nights, and anyone else keeping tabs on the Hiragi Clan, are aware of. Of course, I also made sure that you and Shinya wouldn’t catch wind of the verdict. In any case, what do you suppose happened?"—To Guren, Chapter 4
- "Her control of the situation is amazing, isn’t it? She truly is smart. With this one email, she made me question everything I was thinking. Was it wise to kill Shinoa? To kill you? To kill Shinya? Who are my enemies, and who are my friends? How much of this scenario has she engineered? Am I being played? We’ve been getting caught with our pants down since the very beginning of this. Too many lives were sacrificed the day the Thousand Nights attacked the school. And Mahiru’s been the one in the driver’s seat all along."—To Guren about Mahiru, Chapter 4
- "Mahiru is frightening. She always has been. Not at all like you, Guren. You’re the kind of person who draws his blade in the heat of the moment because the little sister of some girl you like is about to get killed. But that’s also why I trust you. You have humanity. You would never betray your friends. You’re not one of the people at the center of all this. You’re just some slob fool who got used by a woman."—To Guren about Mahiru, Chapter 4
- "You don’t need to answer. I wouldn’t believe you no matter what you said. But I will give you a piece of advice. You shouldn’t trust Mahiru. I know that she’s very beautiful…but she’s a monster, Guren."—To Guren about Mahiru, Chapter 4
- "Tell her to come back. Back to the Hiragis. I won’t oppose a marriage between the two of you."—To Guren about Mahiru, Chapter 4
- "I’m not interested in outdated conventions. What harm would come of a Hiragi and an Ichinose being united? We’re too bogged down with unproductive fights as it is. If you are all going to be under my command in the end, then I see no reason not to accept you into our fold. Do you understand what I’m saying, Guren? If you find Mahiru, hold onto her tight and don’t let her go again… And if you can’t do that, kill her. Because if you don’t, she’ll bring death to everyone around her. Do you want to know how many people died in the Thousand Nights’ attack on the school?"—To Guren, Chapter 4
- "This is an order. Meet with Mahiru and talk some sense into her."—To Guren, Chapter 4
- Kureto cut her off. "Enough with the pleasantries. You betrayed the Hiragis and ran away. Because of you, countless friends and comrades of ours are dead. What was the point of all that killing? Why did you disappear?"—To Mahiru, Chapter 4
- "You’ve lost your mind, Mahiru," accused Kureto. "What you’re doing will spread death indiscriminately."—To Mahiru, Chapter 4
- "I won’t allow this. I won’t allow you to blatantly massacre our followers in this way. I will protect my people."—To Mahiru, Chapter 4
- "I have one goal in everything I do. My role is to secure all profit and interest in any given situation for the Hiragi Clan, and the Order of the Imperial Demons."—To Shinya, Chapter 2
- "No, it’s what I want," he said. "It’s what I’m here for. In the end, people are blank slates. Hollow. Like an empty box. They’re formed by their environment. They become a person in the process of fulfilling the role assigned to them… Don’t waste time worrying about something like that right now, Shinya," Kureto said. "I will grant you your new role in life. As long as you follow me, you will find new purpose. I am your one true leader."—To Shinya, Chapter 2
- "Since when have I ever needed to rely on you for anything?" Kureto said with a cold stare.—To Shinya, Chapter 3
- Kureto smiled. "This is the epicenter, Shinya. Where everything is happening. I’m not talking about some huge battle across Japan. That’s child’s play. That sort of thing that could happen at any given time, on any given day. What’s happening here…"
Kureto turned his eyes upward, toward the school. Where the demon was.
"...might very well be the evolution of the human race. If the cursed gear is perfected, and we can regulate it as an organization, everything will change. Japan, the world… It will all belong to the Order of the Imperial Demons. My job is to make sure that happens."—To Shinya, Chapter 3
- Kureto laughed. "Catastrophe? Why would you think that? Because it will be too much power for humans to wield?"—To Shinya, Chapter 3
- Reaching for him and grabbing him by his collar, Kureto yanked him close and whispered into his ear, "If you value your life, you’d better stop challenging me in front of my men. I plan on saving Guren, too. It was the last thing he asked me to do."—To Shinya, Chapter 3
- Kureto smiled. "It doesn’t matter how we get there. In the end, I still come out the winner."—To Shinya, Chapter 3
- Kureto laughed. "The Hiragi Clan are the ones who started what Mahiru has been up to. You thought Mahiru was the one researching forbidden magic? Wrong. It started with us. And now our work has finally produced results."—To Shinya, Chapter 3
- "We’ve managed to rein in the impulses of the curse," explained Kureto, staring at the blade. We’ve created a version where we can control its power. It’s a rational weapon, with a large margin of safety. And what’s the problem with that? What could you and Mahiru ever hope to accomplish wielding weapons you can’t control?"—To Guren, Chapter 4
- "Hahaha." Kureto returned his sword to its sheath as he laughed. "When the demon tried to tempt me," he said, "I wasn’t thinking of Mahiru. My desires lie elsewhere."—To Guren, Chapter 4
- "Don’t do it," Kureto warned, without missing a beat. "Hold on to your reason. This is your weakness. Anytime someone else is hurt, you promptly lose your cool."—To Guren, Chapter 4
- "The clan leaders wanted to ‘exterminate every last Ichinose rate,’ but I told them you had only been researching cursed gear under my orders. I protected your people."—To Guren, Chapter 4
- "Because I want you," Kureto replied simply.—To Guren, Chapter 4
- "If you want to protect your friends, then kill Mahiru," ordered Kureto, interrupting Guren’s thoughts. "You have one month. If you haven’t killed her by that time, I’ll start by killing your father."
"If another month passes and you still haven’t done it, I’ll kill a hundred of your followers."
"But I have faith that you’ll manage to kill Mahiru before then. You’re very talented. By the way, we’ve already taken a sample of your blood. The research will continue. If they discover anything, I’ll have them share it with you. There’s nothing else left for you to do here. Go home and rest."—To Guren, Chapter 4
- "Your laughter is very grating."—To Mahiru, Chapter 1
- "I think I’ll kill Guren either way, even if you don’t care… I’ll torture him for three days, starting today. First I’ll hack off his arms and legs, then I’ll carve out his eyes, slice out his tongue, and start shredding his body into a million little pieces. And then I’ll kill him. I’ll do it right here, in this warehouse. Either come back right away or I’ll drag Guren here in your place…"—To Mahiru, Chapter 1
- "The Order of the Imperial Demons stands behind me. I will defeat you from within the bounds of human reason. You may be willing to go to any length, but I plan to create a different future from the one you’ve been careening toward."—To Mahiru, Chapter 1
- Kureto just smiled and spread his arms wide. "If you want to kill me, then kill me. Even if you do, the Hiragi Clan will remain."—To Guren, Chapter 4
- "Just to be clear, I was satisfied with the results you brought back. I was against the execution. It was my father who decided."—To Guren after Sakae Ichinose’s execution, Chapter 1
- "I’m using your moment of weakness to try and get on your good side," Kureto replied simply.—To Guren, Chapter 3
- "In any case, I’m glad to see you didn’t get yourself killed today. You’re an important piece on my board, Guren."—To Guren, Chapter 3
- Kureto smiled and said, "You picked one disturbed lady to get tangled up with, you know that?"—To Guren about Mahiru, Chapter 3
- "Mahiru…" Kureto replied in a voice as cold as ice. "She’s leading an army, together with the head of the Nii Clan."—To Guren, Chapter 4
Quotes: Vampire Reign
- "Well done, Lieutenant Colonel Ichinose. Good job for a piece of trash from an insignificant junior branch family."--Kureto to Guren, Kureto's first line in the manga, Chapter 14, "Everyone's a Sinner"
- "Whoever defies humanity... defies the Japanese Imperial Demon Army... or dares defy us, the Hīragi family... must be taught a very thorough, painful lesson."--Kureto against the vampires, Chapter 14, "Everyone's a Sinner"
- "He's Major General Shinya Hīragi. Like Guren, he's originally from a junior branch family, and is detested because of it. So if you want to kill him, go ahead. Nobody will care."--Kureto to Yu when Shinya declines to give his name, Chapter 17, "Cursed Guinea Pig"
- "Because you were stupid enough to be a vampire spy... I had your 'friends' knocked around a little."--Kureto to Yu, Chapter 17, "Cursed Guinea Pig"
- "This is the Japanese Imperial Demon Army. No one goes against the wishes of the Hīragi family."--Kureto to Yu, Chapter 17, "Cursed Guinea Pig'
- "When you were so honored as to be adopted into 'the Great Hīragi Family,' didn't it bring tears to your eyes? Isn't that right, Shinya Hīragi ?"--Kureto to Shinya, Chapter 17, "Cursed Guinea Pig"
- "Yūichirō Hyakuya. Become my subordinate. I will guide you."--Kureto to Yu, Chapter 17, "Cursed Guinea Pig"
- "But what you did illustrated your weak point. No matter what happens... you cannot betray your friends. Family. Lovers. Romance. Friendship. You know those are all emotional attachments that must be cut... but you're incapable of severing them. That makes you weak. You are unworthy of being a leader. But... that is precisely why I trust you, Guren. You can't betray your friends. You will never be a threat to me."--Kureto to Guren, Chapter 23, "Ambition in the Demon Army"
- "But if you have no vision, no end goal, then you're better off dead. Anyone who sacrifices others for simple greed, with no vision... They're evil."--Kureto to Guren, Chapter 23, "Ambition in the Demon Army"
- "First, I'm going to eradicate all vampires in Japan. Then, I'm going to find all other surviving human organizations and crush them... uniting the entire world under the Japanese Imperial Demon Army. Japan will be the center of the world. I will build a vampire-free paradise."--Kureto to Guren, Chapter 23, "Ambition in the Demon Army"
- "So shut up and follow your orders. If you do... I'll show you a world where humans make the vampires into cattle."--Kureto to Guren, Chapter 23, "Ambition in the Demon Army"
- "If I fail now, all of humanity will die. Father can feel free to be as mad at me as he likes... in Hell."--Kureto to Seishirō, Chapter 33, "Crowley in Control"
- "You and the other incompetent pieces of trash who've never stood on the front lines can sit down, shut up, and watch."--Kureto to Seishirō, Chapter 33, "Crowley in Control"
- "After today, I'm going to be the hero who saved the world."--Kureto to Seishirō, Chapter 33, "Crowley in Control"
- "Soldiers! I am Lieutenant General Kureto Hīragi! One of the rulers of the Japanese Imperial Demon Army!! Well done on your successful mission! Thanks to the glorious sacrifices of the Moon Demon Company, humanity will finally achieve complete victory over vampire-kind! I shall take over from here. All of you put down your weapons and be at ease!"--Kureto to the survivors of the Moon Demon Company shortly before he orders their execution, Chapter 39, "The Beginning of the Plan"
- "Hah! You're kidding... That moron. Which personality let that happen? Or... Does he really mean to fool me?"--Kureto to Shinya about Guren being captured, Chapter 39, "The Beginning of the Plan"
- "What? Haven't you figured it out yet? Ah well. His original, weaker personality is still desperate to save everyone... and he did like you, so he probably tried to put on a brave face."--Kureto to Shinya about Guren, Chapter 39, "The Beginning of the Plan"
- "It's time to begin. Aoi, kill the sacrifices."--Kureto commanding Aoi to kill off the surviving Moon Demon Company soldiers, Chapter 39, "The Beginning of the Plan"
- "Are you telling me to ignore his insubordination? Ah well. I am in a particularly good mood today. Plus, they're all going to die anyway. Begin the experiment."--Kureto to Shinya and then Aoi about Narumi's insubordination immediately before Aoi kills the surviving soldiers, Chapter 39, "The Beginning of the Plan"
- "Don't fuss. Theirs was a glorious death for the sake of humanity's future. Thanks to the few sacrifices of this experiment, many will be saved. This... is just. It is right."--Kureto when Narumi reacts to the annihilation of his squad at Kureto's command, Chapter 39, "The Beginning of the Plan"
- "Don't resist, Shinoa. Obey me and I will let you live. You are technically a Hīragi after all."--Kureto to Shinoa before ordering her death, Chapter 39, "The Beginning of the Plan"
- "DO NOT FEAR THEM!! Today is the day that humanity conquers vampire-kind!! But first, we must buy time until the experiment is complete!! STAND UP AND FIGHT FOR HUMANITY'S NEW FUTURE!!"--Kureto to his troops, Chapter 40, "Trumpet of the Apocalypse"
- "Here it comes, Aoi! Heaven is going to smite those who dared to break its taboo... But we will take that power, and we will control it!! Don't let the seraph escape! Bind it completely!!"--Kureto to Aoi, Chapter 40, "Trumpet of the Apocalypse"
- "Another catastrophe will end the world. Again. God seems determined to smite us. But even if God himself is our enemy, humanity will still push forward into the future!! Aoi! Crush that second seraph!"--Kureto, Chapter 41, "Arrogant Love"
- "It was for the sake of humanity's future. You killed people too. You did it because you knew it meant something."--Kureto to Guren, Chapter 47, "Prayer's Price"
- "Father and his cronies hide in safety, never setting foot near the front lines. They live only to maintain their own influence. It is high time I showed them the power of the Seraph of the End that we made."--Kureto to Guren, Chapter 47, "Prayer's Price"
- "I'm going to Shibuya... to kill my father."--Kureto to Guren, Chapter 47, "Prayer's Price"
- "I don't have any dreams. Father is weak. He is no longer fit to lead the Hiragi Family. Our world is a harsh place now. A tiger who can't hunt has no right to live."--Kureto to Guren, Chapter 47, "Prayer's Price"
- "Humanity must come together as a single, united force to fight against this rotten world. That's why the time is right. I am going to kill Father... and announce the coming of a new generation. Once that happens, I expect a faction war to erupt in Shinjuku. You are going to quell it."--Kureto to Guren, Chapter 47, "Prayer's Price"
- "Father is powerful. I expect he isn't even human anymore. No.... I think the Hiragi Family hasn't been ruled by a true human in centuries.... Aoi. Do... Do you think I can win?"--To Aoi Sangu, Chapter 56, "Loose-Lipped Vampire"
- "I knew it...! You aren't human... Roar, Raimeiki!! I will kill you, Father!!"--To Tenri Hiragi, Chapter 56, "Loose-Lipped Vampire"