Shikama Dōji「四鎌童子, Four-Scythe Child」is a manifestation-type demon who formed a contract with Shinoa Hīragi, and became her Cursed Gear. While possessing Shinoa, he also concurrently possesses Tenri Hīragi and Kureto Hīragi. Historically, he has possessed every head of the Hīragi Family.
He is later revealed to be former First Progenitor of the vampire race, Sika Madu, who disappeared a thousand years ago until turning up again as an angelic looking demon.
Note: There was an error in the initial Japanese and English magazine publications of the chapter where Shikama Doji transfers possession from Tenri Hiragi to Kureto Hiragi, and the demon was incorrectly named "Shigama Doji." This was corrected in the following manga volumes.
Sika Madu's appearance as a vampire is unknown as he wore a flowing cloak with a hood that covered his face in Krul Tepes's flashback.
According to the the light novels, Shikama Dōji's true form is described as a slim androgynous person with horns, who appears to be around twenty-five or twenty-six years old, and Shinoa herself couldn't tell if the demon is a male or female.
He has waist-length hair with a fringe, and two curled strands that flows down to his front. On his head, he has two white wings curved around the top of his head and two smaller wings hanging behind his ears. Being a former vampire, he has pointed ears and fangs. It has yet to be revealed if he red eyes.
To emphasize his angelic appearance, Shikama has three pairs of white feathered wings protruding from his back, and wears a drapery style, off-the-shoulder dress with flowing long sleeves that are attached to the dress with shoulder straps. Tied around his waist is a dress piece, and he is barefoot.
Demon Weapon Manifestation
Shikama Dōji manifests as a dark, smoky amorphous creature with a wide "mouth," jagged fangs, and a pair of jagged horns that curve back behind his head. This "mouth" contains an eye-like glowing orb.
Shikama Dōji appears to be very quiet and only shares their emotions with Shinoa. According to Shinoa, they talk within her heart, and the two seem to get along as Shinoa calls them "Shi-chan" in the Japanese version and "Shi" in English.
In Chapter 66, he reveals his true personality by insisting Shinoa will be consumed with either lust or love for Yuichiro Hyakuya. He repeatedly tells her she is much stronger than her sister ever was.
Toward people other than Shinoa, Shikama Dōji is shown to be serene with a smile most of the time, due to him being pretty much immortal and near invincible, which makes him unperturbed by threats and the killing of his former host, Tenri Hiragi. This knowledge of being near immortal also doesn't let Shikama take anything seriously, which can be seen when Shikama responds to being stabbed by Kureto with a greeting to Raimeiki, the Cursed Gear being driven into his chest.
Near-immortality also has Shikama Dōji wanting to die, as he says to Kureto that if the latter manages to kill him, he'll be extremely grateful of that as being unable to die is painful.
A long time ago, the First Progenitor sired the vampires of the Progenitor Council and created the laws for the vampire race. Then, a thousand years before the events of the whole series, he decides to leave the vampire race. While a vampire, he used the name "Sika Madu."
With Urd Geales and Rígr Stafford as witnesses, he ignored the devastated pleas of Krul Tepes as he convinced Ashera Tepes that he must accompany him to an island some call the 'Land of the Rising Sun' and become a demon "for their future." Before the two left, the First Progenitor comes up with Ashera's new demon name that would fit the language of the island: Asuramaru.
During his thousand-year disappearance, the First Progenitor soon became a demon himself known as Shikama Dōji, and would possess every head of the Hīragi Clan for generations. He possess both Tenri Hiragi and later Kureto Hiragi.
As a demon, Shikama Dōji was present in Shinoa Hīragi's body at birth as the result of an experimentation using Tenri Hīragi's sperm to impregnate a demon-possessed woman. As Shinoa grew older, so did Shikama Dōji's influence, which is the reason Shinoa's older sister, Mahiru Hīragi to somehow extract Shikama Dōji from Shinoa when the latter was very young. She also made Shinoa completely forget about Shikama Dōji until he was returned to her later on.
Mahiru then takes Shikama Dōji into herself which, combined with her demon, Asuramaru, quickens Mahiru's transformation into a demon. Shikama Dōji was sealed into a scythe and was used at least once by Mahiru until the demon requested to return to Shinoa, so Mahiru gave the demon to Guren to give to Shinoa.
While possessing Shinoa and Mahiru, he was also simultaneously possessing the Head of the Hiragi Clan.
On December 2nd, 2012, Shikama Dōji appears as a black scythe when summoned by Mahiru in Sanguinem where the demon cuts the bindings holding Mahiru to the cross. Later that day, a vampire Mahiru uses Shikama Dōji to greatly increase her strength in her attack on Saitō.
On December 10th, Mahiru gives Shikama Dōji to Guren for him to deliver to Shinoa. On December 23rd, Guren gives Shikama Dōji to Shinoa, and Shinoa loses consciousness.
Shikama Dōji reunites with Shinoa of his own will because they were together from birth. With Shikama Dōji, Shinoa will be able to survive the Apocalypse. Since Shinoa can completely close off her heart from the demon far better than Mahiru ever could, Shikama Dōji tells her she is the perfect result of the experiment she was born from and may contact any number of demons without fear of losing control. He says Shinoa currently has little desire, but she will meet someone who will make her feel it in eight years.
Shinoa wakes up after ten hours of sleep and manifests Shikama Dōji to protect Norito Goshi from their assailants.
Story: Vampire Reign
Shikama Dōji both serves as Shinoa's weapon and possess Tenri Hiragi until Tenri's death.
Shikama Dōji makes his first appearance after the death Tenri Hīragi, where he leaves Tenri's body as a shadow to appear from behind Kureto Hīragi. Getting Kureto's attention, Shikama declares him the king of mankind, and asks what Tenri said about him. Upon hearing that he was described as an old god, Shikama laughs and says that God was more twisted than himself. Upon being stabbed by Raimeiki, Shikama greets the demon blade like an old friend before being slammed into a building. When Kureto tries to kill Shikama with Abaddon, Shikama commands Abaddon to cease its fire, and the demon stops.
Shikama reveals that he is the reason for the Seraph of the End experiment, and even those won't be able to kill him. He then grabs Kureto and begins to possess him, introducing himself as the first vampire.
Forms and Abilities
Very little is known about this demon.
As a vampire, he would possess strength that is much greater than a human, along with having rapid regeneration, and being immortal with eternal youth. As the former First Progenitor, he would be considered the most powerful vampire that has ever existed, even much more powerful than the members of Progenitor Council, even the Second Progenitors such as Urd Gaeles and Saito, with Saito saying that the gap between him and the First Progenitor is great when he expressed shock that Ferid was able to capture Krul.
As stronger vampires make stronger demons, Shikama Dōji continues to be the most powerful being in existence upon becoming a demon. It's unconfirmed if he could use the Demon's Thrall like all the other demons.
- Demon's Thrall: He may enter the dreams of his host and use their memories to torment them in a battle of wills to possess their body. Shikama Dōji has yet to be shown using this ability.
- Possession: Basic demon ability, and took control of every head of the Hīragi Family.
- Near Invulnerability/Immortality: Shikama Dōji has stated that pretty much nothing, not even a Seraph, can kill him. Even after getting stabbed and electrocuted by Kureto, Shikama Dōji still appears to be unharmed.
- Supreme Angelic/Demonic Command: Shown to have command over Seraphs and demons as he ordered Abaddon and Mirai to cease their attacks.
- Basic Form: He takes the form of a scythe with a glowing green blade. Shinoa can call out the demon to attack an enemy. A manifestation-type demon weapon strongest at mid-range.
- Miniature Form: A black pen-length rod that is more convenient to carry.
- Perception: Shikami Dōji can detect anything that comes within the radius of his scythe.
- Manifestation: At Shinoa's orders, he can manifest into a large smoky creature that will attack whoever she chooses.
- The Katakana for his appearance in chapter 57 of the manga accidentally spelled his name as "Shigama Doji." This was corrected in the official published volumes.
- This demon is the only one known to possess multiple people at one time thus far in the series.
- He possess Tenri Hiragi at the same time he is with Shinoa and Mahiru.
- He possess Kureto Hiragi at the same time he is possessing Shinoa.
- His name as a vampire was "Sika Madu," and this became "Shikama Doji" when he turned into a demon.
Not yet published in English.
Quotes: Vampire Reign
- "..."--Shikama Dōji, Multiple Chapters
- "It's all right. There is nothing to fear about becoming a demon. I shall stay with you always, even after you have become one."--To Ashera Tepes in a flashback of 1,000 years prior, Chapter 49, "Progenitor's Memory"
- "Come, it's time we left. You must become a demon. Oh yes, what should I call you once you've become one? Hmm... Since you will be reborn on an island some call the 'Land of the Rising Sun,' let us tweak your name to fit their tongue-- Yes. You shall be called Asuramaru."--To Ashera Tepes in a flashback of 1,000 years prior, Chapter 49, "Progenitor's Memory"
- "Hello. It seems one who could kill Tenri has finally appeared. So you are the new King of Men."--Shikama Doji to Kureto Hiragi, Chapter 57, "Defining a King"
- "Aha ha ha! Oh, I am not God. He has a far more twisted personality than I."--Shikama Doji to Kureto Hiragi, Chapter 57, "Defining a King"
- "Oh. Hello there, Raimeiki. Welcome home."--Shikama Doji to Kureto Hiragi's demon, Raimeiki, Chapter 57, "Defining a King"
- "If you can, I would be quite grateful if you would. I've been having such trouble trying to die for quite some time now."--Shikama Doji to Kureto Hiragi after Kureto says he will kill him, Chapter 57, "Defining a King"
- "Halt. Goodness. Don't tell me you meant to kill me with that? That is an experiment I have had humans working on for me for quite some time now. It is not yours. Besides, that is not enough to kill me in the first place. Now then... I shall possess you next, Kureto."--Shikama Doji to Kureto Hiragi after taking control of the Seraph of the End, Chapter 57, "Defining a King"
- "My name... is Shikama Doji. I am the first vampire."--Shikama Doji to Kureto Hiragi, Chapter 57, "Defining a King"
- "Aren't the virginal the ones who have the most lustful imaginations?"--To Shinoa, Chapter 66, "Shuttered Shinoa"
- "Aha ha! You know that full well. She was sixteen. She was so passionate about everything, wasn't she? Both in life and in death."--To Shinoa about Mahiru when asking how old Mahiru was when she had sex with Guren, Chapter 66, "Shuttered Shinoa"
- "Of course, you don't. Because you're stronger. You are so much stronger than she ever was."--To Shinoa about Mahiru, Chapter 66, "Shuttered Shinoa"
- "Don't you think it's about time you opened that door? You can build walls in your heart. Tall, thick walls. Those walls will keep the love and the lust... the joy and the sadness... all of the emotions at bay."--To Shinoa about the emotional restrictions on her emotions, Chapter 66, "Shuttered Shinoa"
- "What does a human have if they have no passion?"--To Shinoa, Chapter 66, "Shuttered Shinoa"
- "You lie. You want to experience love. When you watch Yuichiro Hyakuya, you feel your heart race. Why don't I get this ball rolling by opening that door?"--To Shinoa, Chapter 66, "Shuttered Shinoa"